To lay down a procedure for Fumigation of Microbiology Lab.
This SOP is applicable to Quality Control Department (Microbiology Lab).
5.1 Use safety goggles and hand gloves during fumigation.
5.2 Put ‘OFF’ the A/C unit .
5.3 Take Potassium Permanganate (about 15 gm.) in a petri dish and keep in the area where fumigation is to be carried out.
5.4 Place the petri plate on a polyethene bag.
5.5 Add about 25 ml of 35 % Formaldehyde solution to Potassium Permanganate .
5.6 Immediately close the area.
5.7 Label the area as “Area Under Fumigation” so that nobody enters the room.
5.8 Keep the room under fumigation for a minimum of 8 - 12 hrs.
5.9 Defumigate the room by putting on the A/C unit .
6.0 FREQUENCY :
6.1 once a week and after completion of any civil work.
Hazards of Formaldehyde :
1. It is toxic to inhalation and ingestion and causes irritation to eyes and respiratory tract.
2. Skin contact can cause dermatitis. Also cause skin burns.
3. Exposure to a concentration of 10 to 20 PPM can cause difficulty in breathing.
4. Slightly corrosive in nature, suspected carcinogen.
Fire Hazards :
1. Vapors of Formaldehyde are flammable and may form an explosive mixture with air.
2. It should be stored in a cool and well ventilated area.
3. Avoid storing below 16 Degree C because it forms a polymer ‘Paraformaldehyde’ which is a flammable solid which on heating may evolve a flammable gas and may explode.